At our last Crew business meeting, we looked at our “event horizon” and summarized what we saw:
- June 14 (Yes, Sunday) - Swimming at Bangor Pool. This will be some serious swimming, multiple laps, not just the simple 100 yards and rest while floating. Brody will coordinate the logistics on this event.
- July 4-19 – The big Whitewater Trek, aka Superactivity. Our next business meeting in June will be dedicated to our final preparations for this event.
- Aug 15 – Highway Cleanup with the American Legion. Count on ~2 hrs.
- Aug 20-23 – Washington Jamboree, aka WashJam. It’s $35 each for four days, Thursday through Sunday, and includes all activities, including the ranges. It doesn’t include food, so we’ll need to come up with a menu and cooking plan.
- Aug 28-30 – Order of the Arrow’s Annual Planning and Training @ Camp Sheppard
- Sep 11-12 – Venturing Leadership Skills Course/VLSC here in Orca District, and we’re expected to staff it. We’ll hold our annual Crew elections that weekend, too.
- Sep 18-19 – Sinclair District’s Kodiak X course. Those from the Crew who have been through this course may be invited to staff it, so get it on your calendars. Those from the Crew who will complete the Kodiak Course in July during our Whitewater Trek will need to get registered for this, the follow-on course.
- Oct 17 – Program and Training Conference 2009 at North Seattle Community College.
- Oct 17 – Highway Cleanup with the American Legion. Count on ~2 hrs. Yes, that's the same day as the Seattle PTC. We'll try to deconflict it.
- Oct 29 – Biz Mtg w/Movie Night & Lock In, but only if all the school districts have the next day off.
- Nov 13-15 - Order of the Arrow Fall Rally at Camp Pigott.
- Dec 26 – REI Seattle Urban Hike. This will be the first of our Philmont “workups”. Take your Christmas cash and spend it at the annual REI Holiday Sale for things you’ll need in June and July.
- 2010 Jan – Dungeness Spit Hike. 10 miles, flat, with full packs.
- Feb – Walker Mountain Hike. 2.5 miles straight up, then straight down, with full packs.
- Mar - Backpacking Workup. Dosewallips?
- Apr – Backpacking Workup. Elwha?
- May – Backpacking Workup. Grey Wolf? Duckabush?
- Jun 23 – Jul 9. Philmont Crew 626H. Fly to Denver, do Pikes Peak and visit the USAF Academy in Colorado Springs. Arrive in Cimarron on the 26th. Fly home to Seattle on the 9th.
Others, dates not set: Trainer’s Edge (ex-Trainers Development Conference). Usually late Feb, early March. Those who have completed VLSC, Kodiak, Kodiak X, and the new Mentoring Course will need to complete the one-night, one-day Trainer’s Edge course to complete the Venturing Nature of Leadership continuum and be eligible for the new Scouting Youth Leadership Society. It is our intention to be the first Venturers in this Council to be inducted into the Society.
Wood Badge Spring and Fall Courses (Days 5 & 6). We’ll make ourselves available to help staff again.